[KimDaBa] Re: Some ideas from iTunes/amarok

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 03:21:53 GMT 2004

| It seems to be a general trend in KDE that everytime you have a list
| which may go big one day, you put a search field at the top, like this
|
| http://amarok.kde.org/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=25&page=view&imgid=6
|7&hit=1
|
| When you browse by collection, amarok has actually two of those search
| field, one in the collection, one in the playlist. I find that very
| convenient.
| http://amarok.kde.org/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=25&page=view&imgid=6
|1&hit=1
|
| Others examples of this in KDE includes the "configure shortcuts"
| dialog in KDE 3.3
|
| I think it would be very convenient to have this when Kimdaba´s
| browser display a (frequently big) list of Persons or Locations or
| Keywords.
Did you try kimdaba recently? This has been implemented for more than 10
minutes now ,-)

thanks for the idea.

| ***************
|  Amarok records for every song the first time you play it, the last
| time you play it, and how many times you play it. (It also computes a
| "score" : if you heard the whole song, it´s a sign that you like it,
| if you switched to another after 10s, it may be a sign you dislike it,
| but I don´t think it´s relevant for Kimdaba)
|
| See the right panel here :
| http://amarok.kde.org/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=25&page=view&imgid=6
|7&hit=1
|
| Not bad, but it get more interesting because you can construct a
| playlist based on those information. Look the "smart plalists" at the
| bottom of the right panel here :
| http://amarok.kde.org/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=25&page=view&imgid=6
|0&hit=1
|
| I find very convenient for example the "Never Played" thingy. Thanks
| to this you can say : "Oh I never heard that while that´s beautiful,
| shame on me !", and so you do not hear always the same twenty songs.
|
| How does this relate to KimDaBa ?
| - "first time you heared it" is more or less the same as the date
| extracted from exif data, so need for this
| - An equivalent for "you heared the song" is "you displayed it in the
| viewer or set information for it in the Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-2 dialog"
| - An equivalent of the smart playlist would be another feature of the
| browser. I´m not very sure how it would look like, perhaps something
| like :
| * Persons
| * Locations
| * Keywords
| * Date
| * Seen last time (a kind of history)
|      (when you click on it)
|      * i18n( today )
|      * yesterday
|      * monday
|      * last week
|      * September
|      * August
|      * ....
|      * 2003....
| * Other idea for Seen last time : a dialog like the date dialog
| * Viewed
|     (when you click on it)
|      Never Viewed (very useful)
|      Last 100 Viewed
|      Most frequently viewed
|      Viewed 1-2 times
|      Viewed 3-5 times
|      Viewed more than 5 times
|

| Comments ?
It is a real pain to add new views in the browser with the current
implementation. Thus, I'm very reluctant to do so unless it really boost
usability.
I'm not sure the above idea would really be that usefull, so dont hold your
breath.

Thanks for the comparison, I ought to do so myself more often, but I'm really
bad at this :-0

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.