[KimDaBa] Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Rafael Beccar rafabeccar at speedy.com.ar
Wed Jul 14 00:07:58 BST 2004

Hi Jesper and everybody,

I am playing with all the plugins to see how they work, and I just have some
comments:

1) There are two plugins that do the same job:

- "Convert to Blank and White" plugin; and
- Tools -> Batch -> Color Images -> Grey scales

I think the second one is a lot better than the first one. Since it give us
the change to chose a lot of things like overwrite mode, target directory,
previewing, seeing the image file list ...

I think that having duplicated features is uncomfortable for the user. So, I
think it would better if "Convert to Blank and White" plugin were disabled by
default.

2) Right now there are three "rotate" functions in Kimdaba:

- The old one in the configure image dialog (and the best one for me),
- The Rotate plugin, and
- The EXIF Rotate/Flip adjusment plugin

I am a little confused by the last one. What does it exactly do?

Additionaly, both plugins work on all the images in the database if no image
is selected and they do not show a warning message. This makes them a little
tricky when you are just playing with all the plugins to learn what you can
do with them.

I think both plugins should be disable by default too.

And in general I think that every plugin that acts directly over the images
without having a very clear context to work with (like the Batch plugins
have) should be disabled by default. So, only the user that is aware of what
she/he is doing, can work with them.

3) This one is a feature request: I think a good way to keep the user safe
from unwanted changes on images would be to give Kimdaba the possiblity of
managing the permissions of the image files.

For example, when Kimdaba creates the database and when new pictures are
added, Kimdaba would ask if the user want the images to be write protected or
not. Later it would be possible to make the files writable from the
Maintenance menu.

Well, that's all by now ...

Saludos,
Rafael