[KimDaBa] Minor bugs and improvements

Dario Spagnolo spada at zaup.org
Sun Jan 11 20:42:18 GMT 2004

Hello Jesper and everyone else,

This weekend I've been stressing KimDaBa a lot ! :) I've entered my
collection of 1400 photos with a lot of keywords. Obviously I find this
software very useful and extremely well thought !

Here is a list of a few minor bugs and improvements I found using the
1.0.1 source release. Some were corrected in the latest snapshot so they
are not listed here.

 * Thumbnails view :
  - A few more pixels around thumbnails would make selections easier
  - There still are few bugs with moving thumbnails around and it still
makes KimDaBa crash from time to time
  - Alignment of thumbnails is also a bit fuzzy after moving them
  - Tooltip boxes go away if I click on empty space (maybe it's not a bug,
but why is it a feature then ?)
  - cutting/pasting images and its various error messages aren't very
intuitive
  - "self drop" dialog shouldn't be there at all. If a user self drops an
image, the program should just ignore the action silently

 * Image Configuration
  - Saving the workspace makes the program crash from time to time
  - In the default workspace, the image preview is too small. I suggest
making the whole window a little bigger and using another layout with
two columns : first column is for Persons, Keywords and Locations; the
second column is for a large image preview, a small description and date
fields.

 * A few typos :
  - "sheels" instead of "shells" and "-prefix" instead of "--prefix" in
mainview.cpp:574
  - "run fast" in context menu for slideshow should be "run faster" to
comply with "run slower".

 * New features :
  - A "Rescan directory" button that would add newly added images on the
fly and remove index.xml's stale entries (deleted from hard disk without
KimDaBa knowing it).
  - A keyboard-only mode in the Image Configuration (it's almost there
yet, it mainly lacks a better tab order for switch from one field to
another)
  - EXIF support ! (yes I know it's already in the changelog!)

That's it ! :-)

Just for info, I have just submitted a french GUI translation and I have
contacted Achim (who maintains an unofficial Debian Woody package) to see
if we can get KimDaBa officially supported by some Debian maintainer.

--
Dario Spagnolo
http://www.zaup.org