[KimDaBa] EXIF tags

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Sat Jan 3 18:56:33 GMT 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 10:51 am, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> | I find that I often want to use a 64px thumbnail for scanning large
> | collections, but I want to bump it up to 128px or even 256px to see
> | more
 details of a given image.  I tend to take lots of pictures of a
> | given scene in order to get a really good one, so sometimes I need to
> | get a better view.
>
> OK, I'll give it a second though over night.
>

> | Another approach, which might even be better, is to have a feature
> | that
 pops up a larger version (say, 256px), along with the other
> | data, similar to what Konqueror previewing does.
>
> I'm not sure what you are referring to here, could you elaborate
> please.

Sure.  I'm not completely certain what you have to have turned on to make
it work, but I think in Control Center -> KDE Components -> File Manager
- -> Previews & Meta-Data you need to:

1.  Check Local Protocol/file
2.  Set the Maximum file size larger than your image files are
3.  Check "Increase size of previews relative to icons"

And in Control Center -> KDE Components -> File Manager -> Previews &
Meta-Data you need to:

1.  Check Show file tips
2.  Check Show previews in file tips

Most all of that is set by default, so I would think unless you've changed
something, it should just work.

Now open a local folder full of images using Konqueror, and put it in "Icon
View" (View->View Mode->Icon View).  Then hover your mouse over one of the
image icons.  What should happen is that a large tooltip box pops up with
a larger view of the image on the left and information about the image on
the right (including EXIF data!).

Sorry if I belabored that unnecessarily, but I wanted to be clear.

> |  I suppose I could click on them to get
> | a larger view, but that's slow.  Perhaps the viewer-sized images
> | should be
 cached along with the thumbnails?

> hehe, originally I cached all images, and then someone told me that
> they
 didn't have 1Gb of ram as I did ,-)

I was actually referring to caching to disk, not RAM, but I suppose some
people have small disks, too.  Perhaps the level of caching to be done
ultimately needs to be configurable.

> Smart caching is indeed something KimDaBa would need in the future for
> say the slide show feature.

Aside:  Have you looked at kslideshow.kss (part of kscreensaver)?  It's
pretty nicely done and has a bunch of nifty transition effects.  You could
probably reuse a lot of code there.  I hacked on it a few weeks ago to add
FAM support to it so that it would notice when new images were dropped
into the directory it was watching*, and the code is quite clean and nice
to work with.

Thanks for an awesome program!  The categorization capabilities are exactly
what I've been looking for.

	Shawn

* I was using a projector to run a slide show of pictures taken at a family
event, while the event was still going.  Since I didn't want to stop the
slide show to download more pictures, I configured hotplog to call a
little script when I plugged in my camera.  That script used gphoto2 to
download the pictures and clear the camera, artsplay to play a sound to
let me know I could unplug the camera (and go take more pictures) and
imagemagick to resize the images and copy them into the slideshow
directory, so famd would notify kslideshow.kss that there were new
pictures which would add them to its "play list" -- all without
interrupting the ongoing show!

Gotta love OSS...  I had a dozen people ask me where they could get the
software I used and how much it cost.  Most were disappointed when I said
they first needed to get Linux, but a couple were intrigued by the idea
that it was all free.