[KimDaBa] Re: Suggestions for improvement

Helge Hielscher hhielscher at unternehmen.com
Tue Feb 17 22:19:34 GMT 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:28:17 +0100, Ricky wrote:
> 1)
>
> I think KimDaBa would be much more usable if we got rid of the dialog and
> would perform the above action in the following way:
>    1 - select the image(s)
>    2 - Have a sidebar with the categories, persons, places etc... and
>        select them.
>    3 - maybe have an "apply" button at the bottom of the sidebar, so that
>        one could have a chance to "cancel" some changes.

I second this idea. That's exactly the reason why I have not tried to use
Kimdaba further. It is too complicated to enter the meta information.
Well I could use the "Image Configuration" dialog, but there the "Image
Preview" is much to small.

> 2)
>   Since KimDaBa knows where a file is stored, it should be possible to
> tell from within Kimdaba: create a new directory (on the filesystem) and
> move the selected images to that place. (same for renaming etc...)

There are two points I would like to add: when I start KimDaBa I have a
few dozen folders each containing 100 images. Why not order them according
to the meta information that is already on the harddisk (folders,file
names)?

The other point is why not store something like a md5sum for every picture
in the database? This way it would be possible to store images at
different places (e.g. network, CD/DVD = locations that are not accessible
all the time) without loosing the meta information.
Another option would be to store the meta information in the Exif comments
of the pictures themselfes.

Regards,
Helge