[KimDaBa] Wishes, bugs, or both .. and a bit of EXIF

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Mon Feb 16 08:34:26 GMT 2004

jedd <jedd at progsoc.org> writes:

|  Howdi,
|
|  Firstly, Jesper, thanks for a superb program.  I'm still in the experimental
|  part of the process with kimdaba, so some of the following issues are
|  quite likely to be things that I just don't understand yet.
|
|  Debian (unstable) package
|  I think this is slightly borked -- it has a reliance on components of KDE 3.2
|  which aren't in the unstable branch of Debian .. yet.  I think 3.2's schedule
|  to be in Debian-unstable within a fortnight.
I'll leave this for Achim to answer.

|  Multiple XML files
|  I don't like this idea either.  In fact I'd like to have the XML file (s) for a
|  particular tree located outside that tree -- because I'd like to have my pics
|  stored in a read-only structure.  Vaguely related, it'd be nice to tell kimdaba
|  to not create any ThumbNails at all -- they clog up my otherwise pristine
|  directory structure.  One of the things that really attracted me to kimdaba
|  when I first found it was that it doesn't feel the need to frig around with my
|  perfectly sensible (to me!) directory structure.
The solution so far is to make a shadow tree with symlinks, I know this
wont do in the very long run, but it has to do for now, as there are much
more important things on the TODO.

|  Renaming files
|  The MD5 approach seems to work well, but I'm at a loss how you can
|  tell kimdaba how to 'forget' a bunch of files that it can't see locally anymore.
maintenance | Display Images not on disk, and then delete those images.

|  I don't use offline stuff, but respect that others do, and that this complicates
|  the issue of retiring files that you don't have anymore.  I'm not sure how best
|  to do this -- perhaps a 'Scan and remove entries for obsolete files' menu item
|  that asks you "Are you really really sure?" a few times.
|
|  Bug -- Off by One
|  When I start kimdaba with a new images structure, it says that there's
|  1 image in each of Keywords, Locations, and Persons - but in fact there's
|  none.  When I attach a single person's ID to a single photo, 'Persons' then
|  asserts '2 images' .. et cetera.  'None' is a handy thing to search for (see
|  next point) but the logic of  0 + 1 = 2 is a bit misleading. ;)
Actually that's because it count the "None" group as one. I could easily
decrement the count by one, but then someone would claim that there were 1
item in the listbox more than what the count said ;-)

|  Wishlist / Confusion-Reduction-Request
|  When I add new directories to the database later, is there a straightforward
|  way of identifying those new / un-annotated pictures so you can then apply
|  keywords & confirm dates associated with those new files only?  I'm guessing
|  the 'None' keyword search above, looking for empty Location AND Persons
|  AND Keywords is the recommended approach ... ?
Here is what I do (and one day I'll make a tip out of this, damn let me do
that now...)
Here it is:
right away to categorize them (i.e specify Persons, Locations
etc.). Therefore, you might later want to find those images which has not
yet been categorized. Here is what I do:</p>
categorized them. (i.e. just like you may have a keyword for <tt>Summer
<tt>OK</tt>). To find uncategorized images, I choose the
<tt>Search</tt> item from the browser, and in the keywords line edit, I
<tt>OK</tt> item.

|  Sorting
|  Perhaps related to that last problem, are there options with sorting the
|  files?  When I replicated a sub-dir full of images with the same directory
|  name appended with a '-a', that appeared right at the end of the raw
|  image list (in lots of 100).  Because my sub-directories have either a
|  date-string (yyyymmdd) or incremental number sequence in them, I'd
|  be happy for kimdaba to sort based on directory names rather than what
|  ever it uses currently.
It uses most recently used. please see other mail of today.

|  EXIF  and date-time handling
|  I've got a hybrid collection of files - some (1200) scanned in film photos
|  in PNG format that have way wrong date-stamps on the files, some (6500)
|  photos from friends that may or may not have reliable date-stamps but were
|  put in sub-dirs that reflected the dates of the events, and a few (1700) pics
|  taken with my digital camera, that therefore have accurate EXIF date fields.
|
|  With the first set, the primary problem is that PNG doesn't cope with EXIF
|  tags, so I'm happy to set the time-stamps on the files themselves (this is
|  relatively easy to script).  I'm paranoid about losing those timestamps, though,
|  and am toying with converting the files to TIF's just to get EXIF data into
|  them.  The exif tools aren't particularly friendly, however, but this does
|  answer an earlier question about what's available out there.  [1]
|
|  It does mean that I need to set the date/time stamps on all those files before
|  I start to create the 'real' index.xml file, because I only want to set the date
|  information once -- at a file system level -- and not have to revisit it within
|  kimdaba later.  UNLESS .. there's a way to re-acquire the dates of a set of
|  files within kimdaba?
No KimDaBa do not support that you later ask it to read the dates of files,
sorry.

|  The second set (some digital, some not) just presents the same problem,
|  and it's infeasible to programmatically acquire the date from a directory
|  name -- everyone has their own unique nomenclature.
|
|  BUT it would be relatively easy to apply dates to a set of files within
|  kimdaba, based upon what directory they're in.  Identifying where a file
|  really lives, within kimdaba's interface, is certainly easier now that its
|  URI appears in the status bar.  Without this it used to be very confusing
|  for me because I had 0x320 and 0x800 subdirectories in every directory
|  that contains 320p and 800p wide thumb nails, and there was no way to
|  tell kimdaba to ignore certainly sub-directories (as duplicates, or for
|  whatever reason).
Later version of KimDaBa will include a browse option for directories too,
just like you can browse persons and locations now. But I guess that is
little help for you now.

|  With the third set -- my digital camera pics -- kimdaba seems to prefer
|  to take the date-stamp of the file over the EXIF data, so the solution there
|  [again] is to fix up those date-stamps (probably using exif tools) before
|  creating the ultimate index.xml.
KimDaBa will use date stamp from files only if it doesn't find valid EXIF
information in the image.

|  How have other people approached these kinds of problems ?
|
|  Btw, Jesper -- gqview (my preferred image browser as opposed to cataloger)
|  can show EXIF data -- this may be of use as it's released under the GPL.  I'd
|  expect that it should be relatively painless, a subjective assessment I know,
As stated above KimDaBa is capable of reading EXIF information, so if it
doesn't work for your images, then please mail me one of those images in a
private mail.

KimDaBa tries to solved the problem with scaned images by having the
possibility not to trust images - see Settings | configure KimDaBa -> Trust
image dates.

So maybe you should load in images into KimDaBa depending on whether they
have a valid time or not (load into KimDaBa here means tell KimDaBa to use
a given directory, and copy the images into that directory in turn)