[KimDaBa] Re: [Gwenview-general] kimdaba: why not join forces with gwenview

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Wed Feb 11 22:53:00 GMT 2004

Le mercredi 11 Février 2004 22:57, Jesper K. Pedersen a écrit :
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Well I think it would be pretty hard to do.
> Of course you are very welcome to borrow code from me, and I'll even offer
> to answer any questions you may have, but you have to realize that a large
> part of KimDaBa is about these extra informations. Lets take the viewer for
> one thing. Sure KimDaBa could use an external viewer (say Gwenview), but it
> would require that this viewer would be capable of showing the infobox, and
> be capable of letting the user draw on the images.
>
> I don't really see a complete merge of the two projects, if for no
> other reason, then simply because I've worked more than a year on this
> project, and it means much more to me that just having a cool
> application. For one thing, should I ever seek a new job, showing KimDaBa
> and telling that I'm the mastermind behind this would help a lot.

I see your point. I plan to add a simple category system to Gwenview, maybe I
could store them in the same way you store your information. This way a user
would be able to use both applications, depending on his need. I don't know
if it's technically feasible though.

> One place where we could work together would be on a plugin
> structure. Imagine we could have a common plugin structure where people
> could write plugins for both programs.
>
> I'm planning on working on a plugin structure for KimDaBa starting this
> weekend (just after KimDaBa 1.1 has been released), and I'll ensure to
> document it, and make it as general as possible, so you might be able to
> reuse it if you see fit. One thing I'll also look into is if its possible
> to make the plugin structure compatible with digikam's.

That's a good idea, but maybe you can use the Digikam plugin system instead of
creating your own compatible one?

In a recent CVS Digest, I saw that Showimg now supports Digikam plugin system.
This is a good idea, which I intend to implement in Gwenview too. If you make
use of it in Kimdaba, then Digikam plugin system will be the de-facto
standard plugin system for image viewers, and both users and devs would
benefit from this.

Regards,
  Aurélien