[KimDaBa] New snapshot ready - please test

Eivind Kjorstad ekj at vestdata.no
Mon Feb 9 17:19:06 GMT 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 21:55, Rafael Beccar wrote:
> I haven't found how to solve this. I am running Mandrake 9.2 under
> msec 5 (paranoid security mode). I am almost sure this problem is
> related with my permissions too.

Quite likely. Paranoid security-mode migth restrict you form making
symlinks out of tmp, because a number of historical security-bugs has
depended on say symlinking /tmp/.root-socket to /etc/passwd or similar,
and then waiting for some program with poor security, started by root,
to happily write to that file, thus overwriting /etc/passwd. (yes I'm
simplifying, I'm only trying to get the general idea across)

Mandrake in Paranoid Security mode likes normal users to use $HOME/tmp
for temporary files rather than the global /tmp. This is more secure
because $HOME/tmp is only writable by the current user, rather than by
everyone. Perhaps Kimdaba should be changed to handle this, but it's
probably no show-stopper as running a desktop in Paranoid mode is quite
uncommon. (I run mdk-9.2 in default mode and never had this problem.)

Sincerely,
	Eivind Kjørstad