[KimDaBa] Questions about kimdaba

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Wed Feb 4 10:43:21 GMT 2004

Jean-Michel FAYARD <boulot.dodo at laposte.net> writes:

| Hello again.
| I m puzzled by one or two small things :
|
| ******
| * What is the difference between
| 	Images > View selected
| 	Images > View selected in new window
|     It seems to do the same for me, but maybe IÂm missing something obvious
Try opening a viewer, then open another one then you will see that "view
Selected" opens the image in the first viewer, while view selected in new
viewer goes into a new viewer.

| ******
| * When doing a search, when does the category browser appears, and when
|     does it not ?
|     IÂm asking this, after reading the fair concerns of Rafael Beccar
|     here http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.kimdaba/174
|     who wants to have an easy way to launch the slidedhow on all images
|     and what you wrote in the TODO list :
Doing a search from the browser will always load a new browser window with
results
doing a search from the menu will only bring up the browser if the amount
of images is larger than the maximum amount allowed in the viewer
(configure in the options dialog) - this is actually a bug more than
anything else.

| 	- I really would like to do something with pictures found with image search.
| 	E.g., I want to send them by email, but before I have to reduce them in size.
| 	Therefore, most helpful would be (with decreasing importance):
| 	    - copy to directory
| 	    - move to directory (incl. thumbnails and updating the database)
| 	    - create ascii list of path/filenames (this would allow making batch
| 	- export/import of selection - thus make it possible to share part of
| 	KimDaBa databases
|
|     Here is an idea on how to handle that :
|     Add an >>Actions<< entry in the Category browser, alongside with >>Date<< and
|     >>Search<< we have now.
|     If I clik on >>Actions<<, the browser shows many items like
|     >>Slideshow<< or the actions I extracted from the TODO list.
|
|     >>Generate HTML<< could also go here, as well as
|     >>Mark current view as lock<< and its browser
|     >>Mark all but current view as lock<<
|
|     What do you thing of my idea ?
I don't really like it. in the browser you see ways of finding your images,
these actions should go in context menus or menu bar menus.
Thanks for the suggestion tho.

|     A condition for this to work is that the category browser appears
|     always after a search. This is currently not always the case, depending I
|     guess on how much pictures/persons/... you have, but I didnÂt found
|     a general rule.
|
|     (PS: After another reading, mmmh, itÂs perhaps too complicated, an >>Actions<< menu could
|     probably do the same.)
|

| ******
| * A little thing for improving usability :
|     Say I want to add some infos about the persons present in a photo.
|     Usually, I do this very quickly thanks the thumbmais, I can select
|     all photo where a specific person is present.
|     For the rest, I must see the whole picture. So, I select them and
|     press V, then Ctrl-1.
|     Then, i have to quit the <<image configuration>> panel, press next,
|     then Ctrl-1 again.
|
|     It would be great if the previous/next buttons could be used from
|     the <<image configuration>> panel, just like I can use it if I
|     press Ctrl-1 from the main panel, only that the image in the viewer
|     would be updated as well.
select the images in the thumbnail view, press Ctrl+1, now take the small
preview window and drag it of, and size it as large as you want.

That will give you the same functionality.