[KimDaBa] Exif, again...

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com Alain.Picard at memetrics.com
Thu Dec 23 21:57:37 GMT 2004

Dear Kimdaba users and developers,

Hello, and thank you!

I've been madly trying to find out how to organize my digital
pictures, having fallen waaaaay behind (now 4000 pix).  I found
no software whatsoever which would solve my problem.

I spent some days designing what such software would look like,
when, by accident, I find... kimdaba!  And it's _exactly_ what I
had designed!  [No, actually, it's much _better_...]

Needless to say, I'm now a very happy camper, and am madly catching
up trying to put in my metadata tags.

I found 1 problem though: the dates don't seem to all have been
imported properly from the exif header.  Some pictures were
heavily preprocessed and did not have exif headers at all.

So I was looking at the exif headers with `exif' and `jhead' and the
only date related fields I could find in the images where the date got
successfully imported were
  Date and Time       |2004:04:12 20:28:34
  Date and Time (origi|2004:04:12 20:28:34
  Date and Time (digit|2004:04:12 20:28:34

So I manually set this field in my images which were missing
exif info, so it now looks like:
  Date and Time       |2000:08:19 12:00:00

I then re-imported the exif info with Maintenance->Read exif info from files
but nothing seems to have been found, and the dates still show as
the date of initial import into kimdaba.

I had a peek at the code, and my impression is the info is set
in this line of code, in imageinfo.cpp:
 QDate date = exif[QString::fromLatin1( "CreationDate" )].toDate();

which confuses me no end, as I then can't see how this can get set
from the "Date and Time" header, which it patently does.

Any help or advice will be appreciated!