[KimDaBa] Re: Search bar & CategoryEditor & Quick tagging (following)

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Fri Dec 3 23:56:27 GMT 2004

OK, this is now implemented, give it a try and let me know what you think.

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 21:35, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:
> [...]
| just select
| 'Right Click -> Mark picture as selected' or, more quickly, just type ´M´
| and let the slideshow continue.
| When the slideshow ends or when you quit the viewer, the thumbnails
| view shows only #4, #6, #8, #11, #15, #20 and #25 and you can do your
| changes from there, all at one time.
| </=========>
|
| Probably a bad idea since nobody seemed to like it
| Then I saw this entry in the todo list :
|

| <===== ACT II =====>
| - Add a way to mark images using a single key stroke, something like:
|   select a bunch of images, start the viewer in the viewer SPACE set some
|   options for the image, and go to the next image, while RET just goes to
| the next image. (That way you can easily go through hundreds of images
| putting the keyword "print", and later search for keyword print for sending
| images to printer)
|   This could of course be extended so you could set keywords with
|   different key bindings (which should be configurable):
|   (c) - image is from Copenhagen
|   (l) - image is from Las Vegas.
|

| Sounds nice, huh ? But on the next line, Jesper noted :
|
|          I doubt that extension will be very useful tho.
|
| He´s right, because when you fire your viewer and start a slideshow,
| two minutes after that, you need those handy "c" and "i" shortcuts,
| one of those two things will happens :
|
|   - you don´t have yet defined those shortcuts. So you want to do
|     "Settings -> Configure Kimdaba", but your girlfriend says
|     "Let´s just see the pictures for now, you will do that after"
|     with a so lovely smile that you can not contradict her
|
|   - you have already define the shortcut, but one month ago.
|      Too bad, you already forget it, or didn´t remember that you
|      changed this shortcut to means another property and do
|      a mistake ;-)
|
| So Jesper is right, that is a second bad idea
|
| </=========>
|

| <===== ACT III ====>
| Now, let´s try to combine those two bad ideas to make a good one ;-)
| You start the slideshow, you press like before (example from Jesper)
|   (c) - image is from 'C'openhagen
|   (l) - image is from 'L'as vegas.
| but you can also press in my example :
|   (p) - there is a 'P'erson missing on this one
|   (j)  - this picture is 'J'unk, delete it
|

| The point is that (like in my idea)
|
| 1) YOU DID NOT CONFIGURE THAT BEFORE (and don´t have to),
|   those shortcut are transparent for Kimdaba, they are just keystroke that
|   are not binded yet with another action (everything except I D S Q
| for now), and
|   they mean whatever I want them to mean at this moment.
| 2) Those shortcuts don´t actually do anything like setting property
| Copenhagen for the image. Instead they sort out your pictures by setting a
| property    "Key C" for a new temporary category "Shortcuts pressed".
|
|    That is, after your slideshow, you are in a browser looking like this :
|      |---------------------|---------------|
|      | Shortcuts pressed   |  Count        |
|      |---------------------|---------------|
|      | Key C               |  10   images  |
|      | Key L               |  4    images  |
|      | Key P               |  3    images  |
|      | Key J               |  25   images  |
|      |---------------------|---------------|

| Since the shortcut does nothing, it´s not bad if you press a key by
| mistake, just go back in the browser and that´s it.
| But if you take our example, you just have to do now :
|
|  	Click on "Key C"
| 	Ctrl-a, Ctrl-2, Type Copenhagen, Enter
| 	Click on "Key P" (means 'Persons' in your head)
| 	Ctrl-a, You have every pictures where a person was missing,
|               Ctrl-1, type the names, Enter
| 	Ctrl-a, Deselect the second one (not that bad after all !),
|               Edit->Delete selected
|
| Did I lost everybody, or does that sounds useful ?
|
| PS: I actually tried to implement this, but I´m just not good enough
| at Qt/KDE programming yet :(

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.