[Konversation-devel] Moving konversation.kde.org/wiki into Userbase

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Jul 24 17:24:45 CEST 2011

Moin,

a while ago we had made plans to migrate our wiki's content
into the per-app wiki on projects.kde.org so we could get out
of maintaining MediaWiki ourselves, but that ended up not
materializing since the KDE wiki crew is set against enabling
the wiki features on p.k.o, preferring things to be moved into
the Userbase/Techbase/Community.kde.org trifecta instead.

Nothing has happened since, but today this blog post by Ingo
reminded me of the topic:
http://neverendingo.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-of-most-viewed-kde-websites.html

Userbase's numbers are lot stronger than I expected, and
there's no denying that the infrastructure it provides far
surpasses what we have the resource to do ourselves - e.g.
its translation system. As a result I'm warming up to the
idea of merging out wiki into Userbase, and wanted to poll
you guys about doing so.

I propose we migrate only the better-maintained pages of
our wiki over (e.g. the release list, the build instruc-
tions, the scripting guide, the FAQ, etc.) and take the
opportunity to leave most of the cruft behind, as well
as update the things we don't. (We can leave the old wiki
running in read-only gated behind a HTTP auth in case we
need to refer to the legacy content / realize we forgot
something in the initial wave.)

Userbase's URL format for app pages is nice and short:
http://userbase.kde.org/Konversation

So we're going to have that page to ourselves, and can
make as many subpages below /Konversation/ as we want. As
the page has to cater to the userbase app index as well as
our own referers (Konvi's own website and the channel topic)
the general overview for users not familiar with the app yet
will have to stay; below we can make a couple of sections
with links to our subpages.

Long-term I think we're also going to want to look into
moving Konvi's handbook into the wiki as well - there's
a system in the works that will allow generating Docbook
from the wiki for inclusion in our release tarballs.

I expect you will reply on IRC rather than via email, but
since nobody reacted to pings on the channel I opted to go
async ;).

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein