[Konversation-devel] This is the task that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends

Eli MacKenzie argonel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 09:16:25 CET 2009

Hiyas,

As you can see by the topic in #konversation, there are only
approximately 77 link errors to go. 39 of those are due to IRCView,
which I stopped working on in an effort to get the rest of the files
looked over.

I'm sorry this took so long, and for the poor result. I've only been
capable of a few hours of sitting per day, and most of those were
required for my paying job. This started as an experiment with git - I
just grabbed a SVN working copy and started messing around. What was
intended to be some quick fun turned into a long irritating uphill
slog.

The rules I tried to follow were:

1) No refactoring - as much as it pains me.
2) No rewriting - if it needed extensive work to fix, it got commented out.
3) Only fix the bare minimum to get it to compile.

All of the source files were passed through the porting scripts. Then
I moved the files to their new homes and created the cmake files. I'm
not so sure I'm happy about the layout,  there are a couple of files
that are definitely in the wrong place and others that don't seem to
belong anywhere.

Huge swathes of code are commented out - if something looked tedious
to port and wasn't a necessary feature it got cut - and for the most
part I didn't make any effort to return reasonable values. I haven't
looked at any of the UI files, minor custom widgets, DCOP or DCC
sources. There is no SSL or blowfish support.

Once I have something that can stand in for IRCView, I'll prepare to
commit. I'll need some time to review (and squash) the git history and
make git-svn happy. After that, I'll drop it on a branch off r889720.

If desired, I can put a tarball somewhere for review before committing.