[Konversation-devel] Akonadi log based resource

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:35:08 CET 2009

Eike Hein wrote:

> Eli MacKenzie wrote:
>>> Switching to an XML format might be impractical
>>> to us, since IRC logs are often read by humans.
>>
>> Konversation's log viewer isn't going to suck forever, maybe something
>> along the lines of zcat can fill the void for those that want to muck
>> around with flat text
>
> Sure, but if we're going to make the log viewer not suck,
> I wonder if it isn't going to be using a binary database
> of some kind, considering the speed of Kopete's log view-
> er operating on XML files.
>
> Of course, maybe we could look into actually storing the
> logs inside Akonadi in the first place. It does use a
> SQL database for backend.

Hi,

I've just joined this list. I'm willing to help with the kde4 port too.
Please make a repository public or ask sysadmin to import whatever work in
progress you have to kde svn.

Just a little bit of misinformation to correct here though: Akonadi is not
for storage. It's just a cache of data stored elsewhere. Periodically,
Akonadi updates the real data storage with what is in the Akonadi cache.

However, I believe nepomuk can be used to store data, and it and akonadi are
supposed to be able to work well together. Might make sense to store that
kind of data in nepomuk storage. I'm not very up to date on nepomuk yet
though.

Best regards,

Steve.