[Konversation-devel] Modifying the tree view

Mathieu Jobin mathieu at justbudget.com
Wed Feb 14 13:32:14 CET 2007

I started looking at Konversation code a few days ago with the idea to add a
few features to the Tree View.

Basically, here is what I want.

Server TreeViewItem would display
    - if they are set to auto-connect on startup
    - if they are currently connected
    - and if they are set into a "Favorite" list of server.
Favorite servers are always shown although not connected. thus, you can have
a Server always present in your tree view without having it in auto-connect.

Channel TreeViewItem would display
    - auto-open on server connect
    - currently opened (join)
    - in my favorite list of channel.
Again, favorite channels are always shown on my list but unlike the
auto-open, it does not join the channel, only display it.

Query TreeViewItem would display
    - auto-start query? I'm not sure if this is enough interesting as a
feature.
    - is the user is in my favorite list (NotifyList)
    - if the user is online (that "replaces" the WatchList/NotifyList in a
more presentable way)
    - if the query is current open.
Thus, User in my notify list would always have a item in the TreeView,
showing me if the User is online and if the Query is open.
Opened Query with user that are not in my notify list would display the same
information (Online? and Open?) plus it would have a distinguishing showing
this user is not in my notify list. which could be click to be added/removed
from my notify list.

I want to display all this information with simple and little 16x16 QPixmap.
where the unset/offline status would be presented with a grey-out version of
the picture. and a set/online status would be presented with a color ful
icon.
clicking on the icon should change the settings or connect disconnect.

I picked up the following icons from crystal/16x16/actions which would look
ok, I believe
connect_creating.png  connect_established.png  connect_no.png  knewstuff.png
launch.png  ok.png
3 icons for the connection status.
a star or a heart for the favorite list
and the red rocket for the auto launch

so clicking the rocket would set/unset the (server, channel or query) to
auto-start
clicking the heart would add/remove the (server, channel or query) from my
favorite/notifylist
clicking the connect icon would make the server go online or offline and the
channel or query to open or close

I think that be sweet looking and would improve the user experience.

so far I have not done much. I just added columns and started showing some
information. basically testing and code reading.

what is left to be done.
- make the information refresh upon signal/slots coming from various
actions. (open/close channel/query, connect/disconnect server, user comes
online/offline, etc.)
- do not remove the TreeViewItem entry when I close/disconnect the
channel/query/server which is set in the Favorite list
- auto load TreeViewItem from Favorite list on startup

so far I think that's all, I might be forgetting something else.

please let me know what you think.

thanks

--
gcc -O0  -DRUBY_EXPORT   -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -L.   main.o
-lruby-static

Mathieu