[Konsole-devel] advanced unicode material in the konsole

Lars Doelle lars.doelle at on-line.de
Wed Oct 10 11:57:55 UTC 2012

Hi Jekyll,

> > Are you aware of anyone actually using this code?
>
> I'm not sure I understand this "anyone actually using this code", but
> clearly konsole needs it.

i'm asking to preserve the code during the modifications
and even consider to improve it. The problem is, that i don't
know when its working correctly or not. Thus my question.

> The last big change which heavily relies upon
> that class is
> http://commits.kde.org/konsole/c335324f31e946d4e3a0c63d1fbed8c114aea987,
> if I remember correctly.

I'll check through the git log and try to get in contact with the
original authors. Otherwise i'll find someone else who knows.

Jekyll, All,

i'm now very dedicated to overhaul the emulation core.
It will take some time, though, and i estimate, that the
process will not be complete before spring next year.

I'm not yet sure how it will be progress in practice, but the
very first step will clearly be to redraw the line between the
GUI and emulation section sharply again.

I've looked at this pretty close meanwhile, and there are
only two or three places in which the layering was violated.
I corrected the most complicate case and will need to
adjust ExtendedCharTable also, which is much simpler and
can be done even without understanding what i asked for.

To make this redrawn line more visible then, i consider to
put the emulation material in a separate directory including
notes about layering. I guess this step to be completed in
a month, perhaps.

Speaking generally, the plan is not to add or remove any
features, but to perform a function-equivalent transformation,
that allows to make the emulation reusable as a shared library.
Therefore my grip of the material, which is not from my pen,
needs to be become as firm as possible. Thats why need to
understand whats going in ExtendedCharTable and its friends
precisely. Only after this step i plan to make real improvements.

As a preparation for the improvements, some documentation
of this part is needed, too, as those must be negotiated with
other projects, e.g. libreadline, bash, etc, and a share library
wouldn't be of much use without documentation, anyway.

For my release police. Contrary to post patches, i now tend
to make use of the personal-clone facility in kde.org to allow
review. I'll annouce changes as soon as i have some.

-Lars