[Konsole-devel] konsole commit 56f3805ac1d5c9b884865dd448c0fa88794b0f54

Jekyll Wu adaptee at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 03:29:14 UTC 2012

On 2012年03月11日 07:16, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
 > moin,
 >
 > that commit apparently entirely removed the possibility to opt in for a
 > tab bar or menu bar from the command line. what was the reason for the
 > change? the commit message omits this rather non-obvious "detail". do
 > you have a plan for a replacement, like adding separate command line
 > options?
 >
 > regards

Hi:

The rationale is some options do not belong to profiles. They influence
the whole stand-alone Konsole, instead of only the tabs/sessions create
based upon that profile. And profile is used by both stand-alone Konsole
and konsolepart, but some options make no sense for konsolepart. So
conceptually, some options should be moved out of profile and be global
and Konsole-only. Additionally, those options caused some very ugly code
to workaround the fact that they were effectively global although they
were per-profile options.

You are right that I didn't put detailed explanation in the commit
message. My fault. I should have put more explanation so that everyone
can find the intention by browsing git history without following the
reviewboard or mailing list.

You are also right about the lost possibility. I'm aware of that and
also have plan of adding command line options like "--hide-menubar" or
"--hide-tabbar". I'm just not fully convinced they are that useful.
Could you give an actual use case? I guess you sometimes want to make
Konsole minimal: No menubar, no tabbar, just like xterm.

Regards
Jekyll