[Konsole-devel] Some thoughts about the current "Edit Profile" dialog

Kurt Hindenburg kurt.hindenburg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 03:46:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Jekyll Wu <adaptee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, that dialog is a little messy in several aspects at the moment:
>
> 1). It uses QTabWidget, which is deprecated according to the krazy
> report[1]. Although I'm not clear why QTabWidget is deprecated, the
> appearance of that dialog looks really outdated when compared with
> most other KDE applications.

Again, it has been a while since I looked at this.  I believe w/ KTabWidget
you get all the styles that make it look like the rest of KDE.

> That appearance problem is more obvious now that we have the "Config
> Konsole" dialog, which is similar to dialogs in other KDE
> applications. I guess users will have similar feeling in next major
> release.
>
> What shall we do ?

I thought perhaps we might try (perhaps a mockup) to put the edit dialog
combined w/ configure dialog.  But really, anything would likely be better.

> 2). It costs too much code. The file EditProfileDialog.cpp contains
> almost 1400 lines of code. This is probably due to that it contains
> many customized behavior. But still it contains too much code, and the
> codes are just cluttered together within one big file. This is bad not
> only for existing developers to maintain the code, but also for random
> contributors to figure out where to start with.
>
> This problem also applies to other files. The best/worst example is
> TerminalDisplay.cpp, which contains 3000 lines of code. I have to
> admit that number often scares me ...
>
> What shall we do ?

You're more than welcomed to try to separate the classes.  I rarely have
time to do anything but try to keep up w/ bug reports and serious bugs.
 Something this big would take serious design and time.  A remote branch
would be the way to go here.

> 3). It uses the home made class Konsole::WarningBox to show warning
> message. That increase the maintenance burden and provide inconsistent
> appearance.
>
> That's fine.  I look at it a while for the control dialog (ctrl+s/q) and
didn't like it since it changed the dimensions of the terminal (like the
search bar did).  You're patch is fine.

> Again, thanks for your work on Konsole

   Kurt