[Konsole-devel] Query about installing the latest Konsole on my RHEL system

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 8 22:07:24 UTC 2009

Mun Johl wrote:
> My RHEL5 system is currently running with the following revisions:
>
> Qt: 3.3.6
> KDE: 3.5.4-18.el5 Red Hat
> Konsole: 1.6.4
>
> I'd like to download and compile the latest revision of konsole but
> wasn't quite sure how to proceed.  For example, is it best to install
> the latest revision of kdebase?  Or can I install only konsole?

You need kdelibs, you need kdepimlibs, you need kdebase-runtime, and you
need parts of kdesupport (oxygen-icons at the least, but you'll need
anything in kdesupport that isn't in RH5). Oh, and qt4 of course. Your
best bet may be to proceed as if building a purely user-local version;
there are instructions for that on techbase.

Some time ago (1-2 years) I tried to build KDE pre-4.0 on RH4; it was a
total disaster because RH was missing or had ancient versions of things
like dbus and hal. (I eventually gave up and moved to Fedora.) RH5 may
be better, but you might still run into too-old bits of some core system
libraries/services, especially if you want to build trunk.

Better would be if you can find someone that has already made rpm's of
KDE4 for RH5.

--
Matthew
Current geek index: 62%