[Konsole-devel] Text selection w/ mouse-aware apps

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:13:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Robert Knight wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> You need to hold down the shift key in a mouse-aware application to
> select text.  Otherwise Konsole sends mouse drag 'events' to the
> application itself.  midnight-commander does not use these but other
> applications such as Vim do.  Under KDE 3 Konsole did not support
> mouse dragging in applications.

Hi, Robert.

I'm aware of the stated requirement for the shift key.  When using
midnight commander under the KDE3 konsole I always needed to hold the
shift key down (should have mentioned this in my original note).

The problem is that this shift key 'escape' does NOT work in the KDE4
version of konsole.  I cannot select text under any circumstances.  There
are reports of similar problems with Vim, BTW (I do not use it).

There's clearly been a regression and would love to see it addressed.

Steve