[Konsole-devel] KDE Monospace font

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:43:37 UTC 2007

Hello,

> Can anyone explain to me how and where this mapping is defined?

The mapping is done by a library called fontconfig.  Essentially it
takes a list of requirements (eg. font called "monospace" and with a
"bold" style, which supports the character that Konsole is attempting
to draw) and finds the closest match amongst the available fonts.

Monospace is a generic name for the user's preferred fixed-width font.
 A list of names of real fonts are bound to the monospace name in
priority order.  When you ask for 'Monospace', as I understand it, the
first one from that list which matches the character and style
requirements is picked.

Some information on how the font matching works can be found here:
http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html

On my system, the supplied rules which determine the actual fonts
which will match the "Monospace" name can be found in:

/etc/fonts and /etc/fonts/conf.d

/etc/fonts/conf.avail/README explains the order in which the various
configuration files are processed.

Regards,
Robert.