[Konsole-devel] Konsole vs GT, MGT & use as an IDE

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 09:28:13 UTC 2006

Hello Phil,

The first part, making Konsole start up with midnight commander is
fairly easy.   Launch Konsole using the "--type" command-line flag:

konsole --type mc

You edit the session types in Konsole's configuration dialog (Settings
-> Configure Konsole).
Konsole really ought to have an option in the config dialog to speciy
which session is used on startup by default.

The program running in the terminal can manipulate it by putting
certain escape sequences in the output.  Eg.  ESC]2;titleBEL (ESC =
\033, BEL = \007) sets the window title of an xterm-compatible
terminal.  In order to allow the program running in the terminal to
open a new tab a new escape sequence to instruct Konsole would need to
be defined, probably something in the form:

ESC]<number>;<command string>BEL

An from the mc, you would have to create a command which emitted this
character sequence.
Spotting that a file is already open and switching to the appropriate
tab is a bit more tricky.  I suppose Konsole could spot if a program
is being launched with the same command string as another tab.

So in summary:   A patch would have to be written for Konsole to do
this (probably not a very large one), and a new escape sequence would
have to be chosen which the terminal program can emit.

Regards,
Robert.