[Konsole-devel] Konsole vs GT, MGT & use as an IDE

Phil Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Sep 26 07:07:42 UTC 2006

People,

I have been using Multi-Gnome-Terminal for a long time and I really like it but
it seems like it is not being maintained anymore so I had to look at Gnome
Terminal again and although I have not used KDE much in the past I thought it
would be good to have a look at Konsole as well after I saw a positive comment
about it's tab functions.

In a Ruby on Rails development environment (and other environments too)
I need to have lots of project files open in Vim - of course I can use Konsole
for this but it is still a problem navigating between all the files.  There are
RAD tools that allow better management of the development environment (eg
RadRails) but those tools generally force you into using their own editor
instead of Vim . .

My idea is:

- Use a version of Konsole that always starts up with Midnight Commander in Tab1.

- When any new file is opened from MC, it is kept in the same Tab order eg if I
have the following structure:

	- dir_A
		- File_1
		- File_2
	- dir_B
		- File_3
		- File_4

- if I then open File_4, a new Tab2 would be created for it

- if I then open File_2, a new Tab2 would be created for it and File_4
would now be in Tab3

- if I then open File_1, a new Tab2 would be created for it and File_2
would now be in Tab3 and File_4 would now be in Tab4

etc

Also, if a file is already opened, then selecting it in MC should bring the
appropriate Tab to the top.

How difficult would this be to implement using what is already available
in Konsole?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:(0)411-185-652