[Konsole-devel] targeting OpenEmbedded at firmware environment on Motorola A780

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 23:10:27 UTC 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 18:22, lars.doelle at on-line.de wrote:
> I have in general absolutely no problems with any port or derivate, and
> find it even nice to learn that the konsole core runs well on phone, as
> long as people handle their licensing homework properly.

Well, it may not be legal because the EZX SDK that is out there is of
questionable legality anyway, as has been noted on the OpenEmbedded mailing
list. Licensing issues may be impossible to entirely resolve for native Linux
apps on Motorola phones, but that's outside of the domain of the licensing of
Konsole related code (or any other community source code for that matter).

> http://www.dewmill.com/filesx/qonsole_b.zip
> http://www.dewmill.com/linuxphone.html

I notice there's a few other apps there too, including VisualBoyAdvance, which
according to the 'copyright' file on my Debian system, is also GPL. It
doesn't look like this fellow has access to the source code changes, however,
but he might know who does.

> I'll attempt to clarify the issue.

I do think though that a nice, polite, firm e-mail to the admins of
motorolafans.com as a copyright holder asking them to instruct their members
(a 'sticky' announcement perhaps) to be careful and comply with software
licensing might do wonders. I don't think there's much malicious intent here,
just people being sloppy and/or not realizing what their obligations are
under the GPL and similar licenses.

I don't know that community, however, so I might be wrong.

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/