[Konsole-devel] [Patch] Make Bidi Configurable for Konsole

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 10:25:30 UTC 2003

On Monday 14 April 2003 10:20, Meni Livne wrote:
> I know that we all would have preferred having a non-broken bidi
> implementation and not having to settle for this, but to tell you the
> truth, I don't think such a thing can exist. Due to the dynamic nature of
> the console, it simply doesn't go with bidi, and bidi should only be used
> when it's really needed, and this is what this patch takes care of, so I
> think it's what we have to settle for.
>
> Comments/flames/whatever... are all welcome, but if there are no objections
> I'll commit this to CVS HEAD.

I think the BIDI -> LTR conversion should be done much earlier, probably in
the shell / shell-tools already. I guess it would also work if you had a
terminal emulation that was spec'ed to be bidi-aware, but I haven't found one
so far.

As far as your patch goes, can you add a messagebox to kcmkonsole when the
user selects bidi that explains that bidirectional text may not always be
shown correctly and that especially selecting parts of RTL text does not work
as expected and that these are known issues that can't be easily fixed and
that they shouldn't be reported as bugs :-}

Cheers,
Waldo