[Konsole-devel] [Patch] Make Bidi Configurable for Konsole

Meni Livne livne at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 08:20:21 UTC 2003

Greetings,

The attached patches to konsole and kcmkonsole should allow the user to
configure whether he wants bidi rendering in his Konsole (off by default).

The story is that Konsole in KDE 3.0 had bidi, but it was disabled for KDE 3.1
due to its somewhat broken implementation. Nevertheless, users have requested
to have this option, since there are some occasions on which it might come in
handy. So with this the user can choose through Konsole's configuration
dialog how he wants the default behavior to be, and in addition, it allows
him to toggle bidi on-the-fly using Alt+Ctrl+B, thus avoiding disruption of
the flow of work.

Since the option in the configure dialog is only aimed at a rather limited
audience, perhaps it would be better to have it in an "Advanced..." dialog
accessible through there or something... I also thought it may be worth to
have a tip in Konsole's Tip of The Day telling users about this.

I know that we all would have preferred having a non-broken bidi
implementation and not having to settle for this, but to tell you the truth,
I don't think such a thing can exist. Due to the dynamic nature of the
console, it simply doesn't go with bidi, and bidi should only be used when
it's really needed, and this is what this patch takes care of, so I think
it's what we have to settle for.

Comments/flames/whatever... are all welcome, but if there are no objections
I'll commit this to CVS HEAD.

Regards.

--
Meni Livne <livne at kde.org>