[Konsole-devel] Ctrl+arrow keys

Steve beforew at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 26 01:52:48 UTC 2002

Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 08:35:19PM -0400, Steve wrote:
>
>>Eric Christopherson wrote:
>>

>>>Anyway, konsole uses files ending in .keytab to define
>>>keyboard layouts. They typically reside in $(KDE_DIR)/share/apps/konsole,
>>>where $(KDEDIR) can be either the global KDE dir or your personal one
>>
>>Im on kde 2.1.2 at home ( suse 7.2).  Running "locate *.keytab" produced
>>the following:
>>
>>/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/linux.keytab
>>/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/vt100.keytab
>>/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/vt420pc.keytab
>>/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/x11r5.keytab
>>

>>Which one should be altered to change behaviour in konqueror?
>

> Assuming you mean konsole:

I do, sorry, and thanks......

> Any one of those can be modified for your use. Probably the keytab you're
> using now is x11r5.keytab. Copy that one to ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole;

I don't have such a tree ( suse 7.2, kde 2.1.2 ). at ~/.kde/share there
is only "applnk" which is for another application.

I am curious, these are the places ( all global ) that I have *.keytable
files:

/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/linux.keytab
/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/vt100.keytab
/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/vt420pc.keytab
/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/x11r5.keytab

These do not exactly match what I see under Settings | keyboard :

xterm (xfree 4.x.x)
linux console
vt100 (historical)
vt420pc
xterm (xfree 3.x.x)

Which one would correspond to

/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/xllr5.keytab  ?

if
> you keep the same name, it will override the system-wide keytab, but if you
> rename it, it will show up as a new entry in the Keyboard submenu. (Note:
> You'd have to change the name given inside the file, not just the filename.)

I created ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole, renamed xllr5.keytab and copied it
there.  I restarted konsole, but the "new" file "steves.keytab" did not
appear under Settings | Keyboard.

I did look inside of the file.  Assuming I can make effective
alterations there where could I learn what the codes could be for
various combinations such as
( C- == ctrl )
C-right
C-left