how to externally trigger konq-e to refresh view

Stefan Strobl nst at gersys.de
Wed Sep 23 13:29:45 CEST 2009

Hello

I just subscribed to the list in the hope you can give me some ideas on
how to solve my problem.

First I should mention that I'm using a rather old version of konq-e and
qt/embedded, mainly because cross-compilation is already working for my
PPC computer. I'm using konqueror3-embedded-0.2-20040524 with
qt/embedded-3.3.4.

What I would like to do is to somehow tell konq-e from another
application XY to reload its current URL. This is of use if application
XY generates and stors a html page locally and wants konqueror to
display/reload it.

Now, this is how I tried to do it and the problems I ran into:
I thought I use the Unix system signal SIGUSR2 to do the signaling. In
the file view.cc in the BrowserView constructor I'm registering my
"protected: static void sigusr2_handler()" function for SIGUSR2 which is
generally working so far. From this handler I thought of calling the
public slot function reload() which is _not_ working because I cannot
call this non-static function reload() from my static function
sigusr2_handler(). From sigusr2_handler() I also cannot access "HTMLView
*m_doc" for the same reason. On the other hand I cannot make
sigusr2_handler() non-static because sigaction() would complain about
that. I'm lost here. Why can't I access the data even though I'm in the
same class?

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe ideas about a better approach
to make my application XY cause konq-e to reload its page?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks
Stefan.