console mode text cursor with graphics cursor?

Uli Luckas u.luckas at road.de
Mon Jul 28 17:56:09 CEST 2008

On Monday, 28. July 2008, Dan Grunberg wrote:
> I have compiled Qt3 and Kong/E to run without X-windows (conf below).
>
> When I run the executable, I get a browser and cursor that look mostly OK -
> the problem is I also get a text-mode cursor that moves around in sync with
>
> the graphics cursor and overwrites the browser with text-size blocks.  It
> looks like I have to disable text-mode or console-output somehow.  I boot
> linux with vga=0x307 on the kernel line with grub.

The vga mode should not matter here.

> The browser actually seems to work (I can visit different sites) - the main
> problem is the overwriting the screen with a text mode cursor.

I don't know for sure about Qt3 but Qt2 fails to switch the console to
graphics mode. Maybe a call like this in Qt3's equivalent to
QLinuxFbScreen::initDevice() can cure your problems:
ioctl(tty, KDSETMODE, KD_GRAPHICS);

On shutdown (QLinuxFbScreen::shutdownDevice() for Qt2) you should switch the
mode back to a saved value or just to KD_TEXT.

regards,
Uli

--

------- ROAD ...the handyPC Company - - -  ) ) )

Uli Luckas
Software Development

ROAD GmbH
Bennigsenstr. 14 | 12159 Berlin | Germany
fon: +49 (30) 230069 - 64 | fax: +49 (30) 230069 - 69
url: www.road.de

Amtsgericht Charlottenburg: HRB 96688 B
Managing directors: Hans-Peter Constien, Hubertus von Streit