Minimum Konqueror-E possible?

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Thu Aug 9 16:08:52 CEST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 schrieb Henry Jensen:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:24:41 +0200
>
> "Johann Wilfling" <wj313 at gmx.net> wrote:
> >  Anyway, I need something more smaller as libqt-3 alone takes about 8MB
> > of hard disk space, plus the additional memory footprint of konq-e.
>
> My distro DeLi Linux ships an older version of Konq-E wich uses qt2-X11
> (statically linked). It has basic javascript and css support.
>
> Unfortunately the current Konq-E uses qt3 or qt2-e and kdelibs 3.x, so the
> memory footprint is significant.

It also works with Qt2/X11. Do you really have an X server on your system? The
framebuffer version certainly is smaller.
The Qt2 version doesn't support some things which KonqE needs, therefore the
Qt2 version contains some code from Qt3. Thus Qt3 version might be only
slightly larger or even of equal size.

I think KonqE can be stripped, but I am not sure how much. Also I am not sure
a completely statically linked version is possible. We would need to look
into that.
Stefan: do you have some insight on that? Do you have some numbers on
footprint memory/disk at hand?

> The other alternative is to look out for the current Gtk-Webkit
> development, but the available browsers for this (e.g. gpe-minibrowser from
> the gpe project) are pretty unstable. And they need Gtk2, so the memory
> footprint isn't exactly small too.
>
> If you can live without Javascript and CSS there is still dillo, but this
> project seems to be dead.

If you can live without JS and CSS assistant is really the best solution, or
implementing an own small app based on QTextEdit.