Alternative packaging

Jago Pearce jago25_98 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 18:16:04 CET 2004

Recently I've been investigating to see if it's possible to seporate
konqueror from kdebase and compile a static binary ready for systems with
low disk space - such as http://sourceforge.net/projects/byzgl/ (which
currently uses mozilla).

I've come across two problems:

- konqueror-embedded only compiles against kde2.2, and a binary doesn't seem
to be available as far as I can see for i386. I don't fancy compiling
against 2.2 simply because of the hassle for little reward.

- I'm having trouble trying to prise konqueror from kde3.2. I've managed to
compile it and I can run it from the src dir but when I do so I get an "Open
with..." dialog instead of reading a directory or a webpage.

Has anyone on this mailing list come across attempts in the past to seporate
kde components from a monolithic compile? - konqueror being just one
example.

The way I'm going about things at the moment is by using Gentoo, looking at
what it does, going into /var/portage/tmp/kdebase.../ dirs and compiling
according to what dependancies it asks for. Unfortunately this approach ends
up using kdelibs that have already been installed while I would really like
to compile a static binary.

I'm sure this has been done before for embedded but probably for ARM.
Perhaps whoever did this documented thier method?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-----
Thank you for your time. (Please Type "REPLY:" in subject field if you wish
to highlight your response, thx).  jago25_98 at catholic.org is just my email
provider of choice, that's all; I agree with thier policies over email.