To do a library .so with some code

Paul Chitescu Paul.Chitescu at IMC-Group.org
Thu May 22 16:15:47 CEST 2003

"Amadeo Casas Cuadrado" <acc at tid.es> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to modify some files of the Konqueror Embedded's code. Then, I
> compile the code and I always get the konqueror file (the executable
> file). And then, I overwrite the konqueror file by the new. That's right.
>
> But then, I don't want to get the konqueror file to overwrite the file.
> So, I want to do a library (.so file) with the code of the files that
> I've modified and compiled. And then, put the new library (.so) in the
> konqueror's directory and get a new version of Konqueror without
> overwrite the konqueror file.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks in advance.

That's not possible without breaking Konq/E into a (small) executable and
multiple shared libraries. This is not desired for an embedded system since
the combined size will be significantly larger due to relocation records
between modules (which can be resolved at link time in a single executable).
Furthermore, that will help only if you don't change the API (the header
files) else anything that depends on that library must be recompiled as
well.

--
 Paul Chitescu
 pchitescu at null.ro   http://pchitescu.null.ro/   ICQ:22641673