Some wishlist ideas

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 16 13:09:09 CEST 2011

Hi Ryan,

On Thursday 16 June 2011, Ryan Saunders wrote:
> I am a software developer, and interested in helping to add a few features
> to Kompare.

Welcome aboard! We could really use help with developing Kompare.

> Here are a few things I'd like to see Kompare be able to do
> that it can't right now (as far as I can tell):
> - Partial line diffs: when only part of a line has changed, highlight the
> actual changed part more vividly than the rest of the line

Kompare already prints the characters which actually changed in bold (unless
more than half of the characters are different), is that not what you had in
mind? It might just be a matter of visualization.

> - Mercurial integration: I'd like to be able to view the changes contained
> in a Mercurial "bundle" file, by pointing Kompare at the bundle and at the
> URL of the repository.

This is indeed not supported yet.

> - Select/copy/paste: In particular, I want line-wise copy/paste, supporting
> both plain-text and HTML formats (with the diff colorization included in
> the HTML). I intend to use Kompare to help facilitate code review of
> changes to an OSS project, and being able to paste portions of the diff
> into email and comment on them will help with this.

There is a text view you can enable from which you can copy the text in the
diff format, but copying stuff directly from the graphical diff view is indeed
not possible at this time.

> Do these sound like features that you'd be interested in having in Kompare?

Yes, patches welcome!

        Kevin Kofler