Closed brokerage accounts still being used

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 6 15:12:55 BST 2022

On 4/6/22 04:09, timothyp via KMyMoney wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have closed all individual brokerage accounts and created one
> General Brokerage
> account for all share transactions. Since these transactions are
> transparent to me.
> I give my Investment Company instructions to buy, sell or switch
> shares and tell them
> what account (normally my cheque account) to withdraw or deposit
> monies into.
>
> However when I download the statements from the investment company, KMM
> automatically uses the brokerage account for that share account.
>
> This is to me strange since the brokerage accounts are closed and and
> manual
> transactions are not possible. Indeed to rectify the situation I have
> to reopen the
> brokerage account , move the transaction to the general brokerage
> account and close
> the account again.
>
> Is there some way I can nominate a brokerage/cheque account for money
> transactions,
> either by a QIF option or a KMM setting?  I really do not want those
> extra 12 brokerage
> accounts, so if someone has a similar situation and there is already a
> solution that I am
> missing, I would appreciate your assistance.
>
> Thank you
> Timothy

Unfortunately, this is not currently possible.  KMM only recognizes a
brokerage account with the same name as the investment account with "
(Brokerage)" appended.  There is an open wishlist for KMM to remember
any specified account for that purpose.  Unfortunately, certain actions
(such as QIF or OFX import) will put transactions into a closed account
(not just brokerage account, but also specific stock account, such as
for dividends).  I'm not sure what will happen if those brokerage
accounts don't exist at import time - hopefully it will ask what account
to use..  The downloads do not specify the brokerage account - most
investment firms consider the stocks and cash to be in the same
account.  If you can't simply delete those accounts, try renaming them
so KMM won't automatically recognize them as the appropriate brokerage
account.