Can I change "categories"??

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat May 2 16:36:10 BST 2020

Hello Dave,

On Samstag, 2. Mai 2020 15:26:44 CEST dave at bramwell.org.uk wrote:

> Hallo!
> I trust everyone is surviving the Covid restrictions.
>
> I have another small problem.....  I've just finished converting my 2019 data
> to KMyMoney, and went to look at a report, when I found that I have input new
> categories & many of them are listed as Income, rather than Expense.  Is there
> a way to change the Income to Expense without having to go all through my list
> again & convert them one by one?

Yes, it is a bit tricky though. Here we go. As an example I turn the income category XYZ
into an expense category with the same name. I do it using the following steps:

a) Make sure to have a good backup of your data!!

b) create a new expense category named XYZ (yes, same name, KMyMoney differentiates)
c) open the categories view and select the income category XYZ
d) click right mouse button and select 'Delete category' which will open a dialog that tells you,
   that transactions are assigned to the category. Select the new expense category XYZ in the
   Available categories combo box.
e) In case your income category has sub-categories, move only delete the category itself and not
   the whole hierarchy.

VoilĂ . That should have done it. All transactions in the former income category are
now expenses. Repeat as needed.

In case you have a hierarchy, create the new hierarchy first and start with the leaf categories.

Hope that helps.

> BTW, it seems to me (not a finance person!!!) that it would make (my) life
> much easier if I could give a title for a report as a first step & have KMM
> fill in the bits and pieces as needed.....

Valid point, maybe some sort of report wizard can be designed in a future version.

Stay safe.

Thomas

Person A: It's an ISO standard.
Person B: ...And that means what?