Corrected: Budgeting suggestion

Koos Pol kmymoney2 at pohw.nl
Fri Mar 6 16:34:48 GMT 2020

Hi,

Unless I'm overseeing something, budgeting in KMM seems to have a
periodic scope. Even if you choose individual budgets, you're still
bounded by the year. Otherwise you'll select month or year.

For projects with fixed budgets this doesn't work. Let me explain why:
I've just bought a vacation house which needs restoration. We've agreed
on a budget for the various expenses:
- renovation
- decoration
- travel
- acquisition price
- acquisition costs (notary, transfer taxes, etc)

These are fixed size lump sums budgets. I would love to be able to
handle those budgets from KMM. Which doesn't work with the existing
budgeting functionality, for as far as I could tell.

I've found a workaround which is pretty slick, if I may say so, but has
its downsides:
For each of the budgets I've setup asset accounts with a starting value.
The starting value is the size of the budget. (values are fictive):

Assets:
- renovation (€15,000)
- decoration (€8,000)
- travel (€1,500)
- acquisition price (€100,000)
- acquisition costs (notary, transfer taxes, etc) (€15,000)

If I'm making an expense, I'm withdrawing it from one of the asset
accounts (=budget).
Benefits: You have crystal clear overview over your budgets, and
surpluses or shortages are instantly visible.
Downside: It's really a budgeting solution only. It's not the same as
general bookkeeping. You can't easily integrate this with your normal
bean-counting tasks.  Because the asset accounts are not real accounts.
Which means you really should be doing the exercise twice: one time for
your budgets, and one time for your reall accounts.

Would it be possibile to modify the budgeting functionality to also
support fixed size/project scoped budgets?

Thanks,
Koos