Opening MySQL database from CLI

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Jun 7 06:49:18 BST 2020

Hello,

On Samstag, 6. Juni 2020 17:24:32 CEST Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If this is possible, this should be an easy one for the
> programmers...

... or the user :)

> I am using MySQL databases with KMM 5.0.5, and I
> currently opening them by launching KMM, and selecting the desired DB
> in the recent files menu.  This pre-populates the DB opening dialog
> box, and only have to enter the DB password.
>
> I'd like to be able to open a DB directly by calling KMM from the
> shell, something like:
>
> kmymoney
> sql://database-username@database-server/database-name?driver=QMYSQLsecure=yes'
>
> but when I try this, I get:
>
>   "Qt SQL driver QMYSQLsecure=yes is no longer installed on your system"
>
> I think its because the "secure=yes" is concatenated to
> "driver=QMYSQL" and the Qt DB driver doesnt like that...
>
> My goal is to create desktop shortcuts for each DB. Once clicked, it
> would reproduce selecting the DB in KMM's recent items menu.

Makes sense. Looking at the source, the application constructs the URL in a way
that it places an ampersand between the QMYSQL and secure. So you need to do the
same when calling from the shell. This may be a bit tricky, as the shell can
interpret the & (ampersand) as instruction to place the command into the background.
You can avoid that by enclosing the whole URL in single quotes. So your command
will look s.th. like

kmymoney 'sql://database-username@database-server/database-name?driver=QMYSQL&secure=yes'

Hope that helps. I have not tried this myself, so in case it does not work
you can get back to us.

You have to wait until you have written code before starting an
open source project, otherwise you have made a standards group.
 -- Jeremy Ruston, Head of Open Source Innovation at BT