=?UTF-8?Q?Re:_KMyMoney_5.0.6_(but_probably_5.0.x_if_not_more); _transacti?= ons don't seem willing to match

Ryan Novosielski ryan at novosielski.com
Mon Jan 20 21:26:58 GMT 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, at 3:44 PM, Jack wrote:
> Hello Ryan,
>
> On 2020.01.20 15:18, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I've been ignoring this problem for awhile, but it wastes a lot of my
> > time and should be working as I understand it.
> >
> > For whatever reason, I don't seem to be able to get transactions to
> > automatically match anymore, and further, KMyMoney never offers to
> > enter pending scheduled transactions when they appear to match
> > downloaded transactions. I believe that this is specific to my
> > accounting file -- I have another one where I believe this does work
> > properly. However, there aren't that many settings for this feature,
> > so I'm a little lost as to what I could have configured incorrectly.
> > I have currently configured "Match transaction within days: [ 4 ]"
> >
> > Is there anything else I should be looking at? Thanks for your tips!
> >
> >   Ryan Novosielski
>
> First, I think we need a bit more information.

Thanks for your response! I wasn't entirely sure what criteria were used for matching, so I wasn't sure what to mention.

> Are you talking about doing an OFX import and wanting transactions to be recognized as a duplicate of an already imported
> transaction, or just matching what  should be the same transaction, previously entered manually?  They are  slightly different.

I guess three different kinds of situations: I guess the most common one would be transactions imported from another account where either the to or from is the account I'm now importing to. For example, I've downloaded the credit card statement, KMyMoney has guessed that the payment came from my bank account, and now I'm importing the bank account's transactions. Another would be a transaction that was entered "manually" via a scheduled transaction, which is my process when I manually schedule a credit card payment. When I import transactions via OFX, they are not matched. The third would be a scheduled transaction that is waiting to be entered. KMyMoney no longer offers to enter it on OFX import, which it did at one time.

> How different are the imported and old  transactions you think should match, or can't you see any differences  in the ledger?
> Can you manually match the two transactions?

I didn't think about that carefully, other than I guess to know that the behavior seems to have changed since KMyMoney ~4.6 or 4.8. The "payee" names tend to drift from time to time, particularly for these sorts of transactions (transfers, credit card payments, etc.)., so they may not match 100% (right now, AmEx appears to use "ONLINE PAYMENT - THANK  YOU" and the bank account shows "AMERICAN EXPRESS ELEC REMIT" on the other end ). My scheduled transactions are set up as transfers, they're have the account defined as the bank accounts, and they at this moment appear to have the payee set as "PAYMENT - THANK YOU". The dates are within the configured range, usually about 2 days (the amount of time the transaction takes to process, generally) and the dollar amounts are exactly the same. In all cases, manual matching works just fine.

> Hopefully more info will better lead to an explanation and hoepfully, solution.

Thanks again for helping me!

--
  Ryan Novosielski
  ryan at novosielski.com