Apply default category to existing transactions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Jan 3 15:38:29 GMT 2019

Simon,

On Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2019 15:05:56 CET Simon Frei wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just started using kmymoney and I like the program, but not so much
> setting it up. However not because of kmymoney, because of my
> banks/credit card providers which do not supply any decent way of
> connecting to/exporting the data (I even need to "parse" html for the
> credit cards).

Would be cool if you can share your experience once you have it working. I am sure, you are not alone with this problem.

> Meaning I am dealing with merging lots of payees and
> adding default categories. However I don't find a way to apply these
> default categories to transactions without any categories yet. Ideally
> it would be something like the "match" feature for payees (well
> essentially it is the match feature, but I can't use that anymore,
> because the payee is already assigned). Maybe someone can give me a pointer?

It might be easier than that: Multi-Select (using the usual combination of Shift, Ctrl and the left mouse button) the transactions you want to assign to a category. Start edit the transactions, only change the category and press Enter. VoilĂ , all have the same category.

You can reduce the number of presented transactions by e.g. entering the name of a payee into the search field at the top (any other text found in a transaction works as well). If you want to select all transaction shown (in a possible reduced set), Ctrl+A is your friend: it selects only all visible ones.

> And completely unrelated: I am using "virtual accounts" to track
> expenses and reimbursements for voluntary work that I do (sort of like a
> debitor). Apart from "accounting correctness" (I don't have any formal
> education on that :) ), is there a catch with that strategy within
> kmymoney (or a better way).

I think, I actually do it the same way. Created an asset account and when I spend some money for external sources that is reimbursed later on, I make a transfer from my checking account to that asset account. Then when I get reimbursed, I assign the asset account as the category and am set. If you have several sources you do this with, create an account for each one to keep track of things separately. Unless you have more than a handful this seems reasonable.

Hope that helps.

'Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.' -- Ben Franklin