payees on transfer different

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 6 21:57:01 GMT 2019

On 2019.02.06 15:43, Scott Lair wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a transfer transaction from a checking to a savings account.
> I noticed that the payees were different in each account. I did not
> think that was possible. I edited the .kmy file and fixed it, but now
> I'm wondering if it's a bug. If not, I'm not sure what I did to make
> this happen.  Also, is there a way to audit the file to make sure
> that this situation hasn't occurred again?
>
> thanks much
>
> Scott
I'll leave it to others to comment whether this is valid or not from an
accounting perspective,   However, if you had a single transaction
where you got money from one Payee and then passed it on to a different
one, the that seems like a valid case for the two splits of a
transaction having different payees.  I think most income or payment
transactions have one split with a payee and the other split with an
account, but no payee, but not the same payee on both splits.

In my own file, I (almost) never have a payee on a transfer.  A
transfer is moving money between two different accounts.  I always use
a payee to show where money comes from or goes to when transferred into
or out of one of my accounts.  Transferring between two of my own
accounts does not involve any external party, which is how I always see
Payees.

As for how a transfer gets a payee, I find that most commonly happens
when I import the transaction, and the payee representing the
institution is often used.  I just delete it, since I would only use
that payee for interest income or fees or similar.