KMyMoney Fail opening file.

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 4 23:46:40 GMT 2019

On 2019.02.04 15:43, Cesar Tadeu Descardeci wrote:
> Hi  Folks !
> I'm writing because my KmyMoney suddenly  does not open the same file
> that
> I've been working from more than a Year !
> Suddenly  it  presents  these error messages:
> "File  Protocol fail "  and  it  says  that  I am  using  an  Old file
> format and  that  I need to install an Old versionn 0.8.x  of
> Kymymoney !
> I've tried  many things  including  re installations,  complete Clean
> of my
> computer and a few others without  success !
> I really  don't  know  what's going on !  And  how to fix it !
>
> Can  anyone help ?   I'd  appreciate very much !
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cesar Tadeu
Hello Cesar,

First, when starting a new topic, please create a new message.  If you
reply to another message, some people might not see it, if they don't
want to read any more about the old topic.

Second, we need some additional information to help you.  What version
of KMyMoney are you running?  What Operating System and which
distribution if it is Linux?  Can you confirm you did not see any
errors the last time you saved the file?

Before doing anything else, make a backup copy of your data file.
Also, do you have any backups of your file?  That would help in case
there really is a problem with your file.

The error about needing to use a very old version of KMyMoney is
because the program does not recognize the file as a proper KMyMoney
data file.  The question is why not, and what might have happened to
the file.  What is the output of "file <filename>" ?  What is the size
of the file?

We can make more suggestions when we have some further information.