Attempt to move one split to new category moves all splits with same category

jillelaine jillelaine01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 23:20:06 BST 2019

On 8/16/19 2:56 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 2019.08.16 17:43, jillelaine wrote:

>>> It looks like all those attemps are variations on moving
>>> transactions.  If you only want to change the category of a single
>>> split, try selecting and edit the transaction in the ledger, go to
>>> the split editor, and change the category on that split.
>>
>> Yes, I can change the category of a split in the ledger, one
>> transaction at a time. The problem is that I want to modify the
>> category of a particular split in multiple transactions, without
>> modifying any of the other splits.
>>

>>> Also, 4.8.0 is really old.  If you can't move to a 5.0 version, there
>>> are later 4.8.x versions.
>>
>> Is this behavior changed in newer versions?
> I don't know that what you want is possible.  By editing multiple
> transactions, if might be identifying the splits to edit based on the
> category - which would include the other splits you don't want to
> change.  Am I correct you have multiple transactions which have more
> than one split with the same category - and you want to change the
> category in only one of those splits?  If so, how can that particular
> split be identified?

By selecting them with Ctrl + click?

In Categories > select original category > use Ctrl key to select only
desired splits in the category > right click to modify...

Since I can select only desired splits with Ctrl + click, it gives me
the impression that I can modify only those selected splits, while
leaving other splits in same category in same transactions unmodified.
Please see attached screenshot (assuming it's not scrubbed).

 > (This might need to be opened at bugs.kde.org as a
 > wishlist item, unless someone else knows of a way to do it now.

If it is possible to accomplish this 'batch' modification of splits, I
will file a wishlist item. I'll await to hear if it is even possible.

> I suggest upgrading on principle - I don't think newer versions would do
> this either.

I need to keep my KMyMoney at a version that is compatible with a
Windows user, apparently 4.8.3? I'm always hesitant to upgrade when I
need to share a file with a remote user, and I'd need to upgrade the
Windows box at the same time.