Attempt to move one split to new category moves all splits with same category

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 16 22:56:46 BST 2019

On 2019.08.16 17:43, jillelaine wrote:

> On 8/16/19 2:38 PM, Jack wrote:
>> On 2019.08.16 17:05, jillelaine wrote:
>>> KMyMoney v.4.8.0
>>> Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
>>>
>>> In KMyMoney, in a transaction with multiple splits, where more than
>>> one split is assigned to the same category, attempts to change only
>>> one split to a new category changes all splits with the same
>>> category to the new category.
>>>
>>> Go to 'Categories' > select original category > select transaction
>>> split to move to new category > right click & select > 'Move
>>> transaction to...' > and select desired new category from the
>>> 'Select Account' list.
>>>
>>> Result: all splits assigned to original category within the same
>>> transaction are moved to new category, even though only one split
>>> is selected.
>>>
>>> Issue also occurs during 'batch' 'Move transaction to...' via
>>> Categories.
>>
>> It looks like all those attemps are variations on moving
>> transactions.  If you only want to change the category of a single
>> split, try selecting and edit the transaction in the ledger, go to
>> the split editor, and change the category on that split.
>
> Yes, I can change the category of a split in the ledger, one
> transaction at a time. The problem is that I want to modify the
> category of a particular split in multiple transactions, without
> modifying any of the other splits.
>

>> Also, 4.8.0 is really old.  If you can't move to a 5.0 version,
>> there are later 4.8.x versions.
>
> Is this behavior changed in newer versions?
I don't know that what you want is possible.  By editing multiple
transactions, if might be identifying the splits to edit based on the
category - which would include the other splits you don't want to
change.  Am I correct you have multiple transactions which have more
than one split with the same category - and you want to change the
category in only one of those splits?  If so, how can that particular
split be identified?  (This might need to be opened at bugs.kde.org as
a wishlist item, unless someone else knows of a way to do it now.

I suggest upgrading on principle - I don't think newer versions would
do this either.