reconciling investment accts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 27 15:20:58 UTC 2018

Hello Gary,

On 2018.06.27 03:18, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have several investments accounts.  When I update them from the
> online institution, dividends are downloaded.  Then I have to edit
> each dividend transaction to add the brokerage account.
>
> Is there some way to have the brokerage account added automatically?
If the brokerage account has the default name (" (Brokerage)" added
after the name of the investment account) then just editing the
transaction will add the brokerage account, you should not need to
select it manually.

> The next thing I have to do to each of these transactions is to buy
> shares, as these dividends are automatically reinvested.
OFX does have a true "Reinvest dividends" transaction, but I know my
broker (Merrill Lynch) sends these are three transactions (as printed
in my statement) one dividend, and two different forms of the purchase,
only one of which is imported.  So, I always need to change the
"Dividends" to "Reinvest" and then enter the number of shares and
retype the total amount.  I then need to delete the other transaction
that gets imported to the brokerage account.

> Is there any way to have this step performed automatically?
Unfortunately, not yet.  There are some of the issues to be addressed
when the whole investment area is revisited in the future.  At that
time, I suspect there will be lots of discussion first, regarding what
the new version will need to do, and what it should look like.

One other problem which recently popped up (at least for me) is that
when I do an OFX import, it now asks me to identify the brokerage
account.  Note this is once per import, not per transaction.  I believe
it used to remember this, although it does require using the default
name for the brokerage account.  I have not yet tracked down why, nor
have I filed a bug yet.