Change type of account

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Jun 4 09:18:04 UTC 2018

Ian,

On Montag, 4. Juni 2018 00:37:31 CEST Ian Millington wrote:

> Hi all. I have a loan account and am looking to have KMM auto-calculate
> the monthly interest on it (I know the APR).
>
> Unfortunately due to ignorance when I set it up I did so as a current
> account. It therefore appears as a negative balance under the assets
> heading.
>
> Using the edit function I am unable to re-categorize it as a loan. Is it
> feasible or is the answer simply to set up a new account and transfer
> the balance to it?

One cannot simply change the account type once it contains transactions. In your case, I would suggest to create a new loan account, set it up using the KMyMoney wizard. Select the opening date of the new account depending if you want to record all transactions from the start or some intermediate date (like first day of current year or so). In case you choose to record all transactions from the start, you might be able to move the transactions from your existing current account to the new loan account by using the 'Move transaction to' feature. Your mileage may vary depending on the way your recorded things so far.

A good advice is to keep a backup of the current state of the file. This way, you can try whatever you want and fall back to a working state.

Hope that helps.

https://www.telegram.org/       Telegram, the better WhatsApp
No electrons have been harmed during the creation of this message.