Residual value after removing all shares from investment

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 18 18:47:27 UTC 2018

[Please consider trimming the original to only show the relevant part
to which you are replying, especially when replying to a digest
version.  Thanks.]

I'm pretty sure this will not do what Timothy wants.  If you simply
move the purchase transaction from one account to the other, there will
be no history of those shares ever having been in the first account.
If that is acceptable, then it would certainly work.  This is a known
issue, and although I do not see a wish list filed for it, it is likely
something that will be addressed when the entire handling of
investments is revised.  Unfortunately, it is not clear how soon this
is likely to actually be done.

Another possible workaround would be to sell the shares in the first
account, using the same price as at purchase.  That should get the
value of the account to zero.  Then purchase the shares in the second
account at the same price.  The problem with that is that it introduces
an incorrect point in the price history, and does not retain the actual
acquisition date of the shares.

Separately, I'm pretty sure the issue of rounding error has already
been addressed, so I would strongly suggest upgrading to 5.0.1.
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the LMDE distro, and because I do
see a note that it is not compatible with PPAs, I don't know if there
is a packaged version of 5.0.1 available for you.  Might you be able to
compile it yourself from the tarball?  That's probably your best bet if
you can't find a suitable .deb package.

Jack

On 2018.04.18 13:09, Michael Carpino wrote:
> Instead of using the Add/Remove option have you thought about using
> the
> Move transaction?  When you right-click the transaction for a buy or
> reinvestment the software allows you to move the transaction to
> another
> account.  With the move feature, it allows you to maintain the
> original
> purchase value.

snip...