Best practice: Budgeting with savings / part of income.

Peter J. Farley III pjfarley3 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 9 23:58:56 UTC 2017

Tobias,

I assume here that you are getting your income in one electronic "direct deposit" to your checking account rather than as cash-in-hand to be manually deposited at the bank or ATM to different accounts.

Saving a portion of your "direct deposit" income is actually an expense on the checking account side and an income on the savings account side.  When you transfer savings back to checking to fund a special expense or bill, the transfer is an expense to the savings account and an income to the checking account.

I set up categories that allow for such transfers between checking and savings for each separate savings account I may have:

Income:

Transfer In from Savings #1
Transfer In from Savings #2
Transfer In from Checking

Expense:

Transfer Out to Savings #1
Transfer Out to Savings #2
Transfer Out to Checking

When I am saving the money from my income I use the "Transfer Out to Savings #1" (or #2, etc.) expense category in the checking account "check" line and in the Savings account I use the Income category "Transfer In from Checking" for the "deposit" line.

When I move saved money back to Checking to pay bills I use the expense category "Transfer Out to Checking" in the Savings account line and the income category "Transfer In from Savings #1" for the checking account "deposit" line.

This scheme can be expanded to multiple checking accounts if you have them, or you can simplify to just four categories and not bother to identify which "savings" account was transferred to or from:

Income:

Transfer In from Savings
Transfer In from Checking

Expense: