Chase and CATEGORY in ofx

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 27 17:07:54 UTC 2016

On 2016.09.27 12:10, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Monday 26 September 2016 17:31:11 Bob Ewart wrote:
>
>> Interesting problem with Chase credit card downloads.  They now have
>> transactions looking like this:
> >
> > <STMTTRN>
> > <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
> > <DTPOSTED>201609...
> > <TRNAMT>-nn.nn
> > <FITID>201609...
> > <NAME>AMAZON MKTPLACE PMTS
> > <CATEGORY>
> > <MEMO>null
> > </STMTTRN>
> >
>> KMyMoney sets the payee to 'null' or whatever is in the <MEMO> field
>> instead of the <NAME> when you import a downloaded .ofx file.
I also got bit by this a week or so ago.  It is not the main reason,
but does support my choice to dump the Chase card.  They have been less
than supportive of using anything except that commercial product.  If
anyone does know of any credit card which is supportive of or at least
not hostile to open source software, please speak up.

> Did you know, that KMyMoney allows you to select from which field of
> the OFX file to extract the name on a per account basis? It should be
> in the "Edit account/Online settings" tab IIRC. If you don't find it,
> I have to setup an OFX account here to see where it is.
It seems this option is only present if you map to an online account
with KMM OFX (libofx) and it does not show up with KBanking/aqbanking.
If the account is mapped, go to Edit/Account, select the Online
Settings tab and the Import Details subtab.  The choices for "Payee's
name is based on contents of the OFX tag" are PAYEEID, NAME, and MEMO.

I know this has come up before, but I'll have to check whether there is
already a wishlist filed to have this option available either as an
overall setting for OFX imports or for each account even if not mapped
online.