Bulk edit of payto+category

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon May 2 14:50:08 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Monday 02 May 2016 15:13:55 aga wrote:

> On 02/05/16 00:35, Infused W JC wrote:
> > I am trying to find a way to bulk edit transactions.  I want to change
> > all Payee="StoreA" and Category="Medical:Drugs" to Payee="StoreA Rx".
> > What is the best way to do this?
>
> I'm not sure how to interpret this.
> Do you mean only change the Payee name if the category is "Medical:Drugs"?
> Or, change all Payee="StoreA" and also Category="Medical:Drugs"?
> If so, what should Category="Medical:Drugs" become?  There has to be a
> category, I believe.
> If the former, it is possible to select multiple transaction by using
> the ctl or shift key.  So, select "Medical:Drugs" in Category view, then
> in the filter, multi-select "StoreA" to display just those payees.
> Then, edit the Payee name to "StoreA Rx", and accept.

That would be an idea, just that you cannot edit if the ledger is opened for a
category :(

> Perhaps that will work for you, or I have misunderstood.

I understood the question the same way as you (the former one). If that is
spread over multiple accounts there is no easy way to do it. Here's the way
you can do it:

For each account that is affected do
  - filter by "Medical:Drugs" or "StoreA" (which ever results in the larger
set)
  - Select one transaction (this is just needed to move the focus from the
filter to the transactions)
  - Hit Ctrl+A to select all transactions shown
  - Use Ctrl-Left-Mouse-Button to deselect the ones you don't want to change
  - Edit the selected set of transactions to change the payee to "StoreA Rx"

Hope that helps.

Linux - Life is too short for reboots