QFX Import Problem

Greg dybalskigo at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:49:09 UTC 2016

Jack,
Again, thank you for your assistance.

I am using KMyMoney version 4.7.2 on a Windows 10 system.  The program was installed a few weeks ago.

  *   You say for one OFX file, some transactions are imported "correctly" (or at least as you would expect) and some are not.  What are the differences?  Does it have to do with matching to already entered transactions?  Does it have to do with matching on Payee name?
     *   The KMM was installed only a few weeks ago, and there were no transactions entered prior to the import.  The imported transactions were the first transactions entered into these accounts.  In the first import:
        *   two transactions entered the appropriate payee name into the 'Pay to' field and were for the same payee name.  For these two transactions the memo field also contained the the payee information.
        *   In contrast, four transactions contained the letter E in the the payee name, and memo field contained the payee information.
     *   The second import had 5 transactions and showed only one transaction having the 'Pay to' field containing the appropriate payee name (the payee name was different from the payee in the first import).  The remaining four transactions showed the letter E in the 'Pay to' field and the memo field containing the payee name.
     *   The third import had eight transactions.  Two transactions contained the payee name in the 'Pay to' field, and these two payees were different than any of the payees in the previous imports.  The remaining transactions contained the payee information in the memo field.

I copied the information below from my initial posting as it provides a little more information pertaining to the problem.
After setting up two credit card accounts I downloaded transactions from the two banks in the QFX file format.  While the files were imported into KMyMoney successful, some of the data do not enter into proper fields.  Specifically, most of the time the 'Pay to' contains the single letter, E, and the memo field contains the payee information.  However, some of the time the 'Pay to' field contains the proper payee information information but so does the 'Memo' field; the payee information is duplicated in these cases. To correct the 'Pay to' field I have to manually edit most transactions by moving the 'Memo' field information to the 'Pay to' field.  As a consequence, this editing of most transactions negates the convenience of downloading the transactions.

The date and charge (amount) fields have the correct information.

I can not find anything in the QFX files that would lead to this result.  I examined the QFX files, and the payee information is always contained in the line having tag <NAME>.   To demonstrate the file information I copied a few lines where the KMyMoney successful fills in the 'Pay to' field. and a few lines showing where the it is not.

KMyMoney successful filled in the 'Pay to' field (data in the date and amount fields editied) with these lines:
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>Debit
<DTPOSTED>yyyymmdd120000
<TRNAMT>-xx.xx
<FITID>yyyymmdd0001
<NAME>Amazon.com             AMZN
</STMTTRN>
While this transaction shows an Amazon charge, other transactions from local stores are properly inserted.

KMyMoney filled in the 'Pay to' field with the letter E (data in the date and amount fields removed, and the store number and location were changed to nnn and AAAA) with these lines:
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>Debit
<DTPOSTED>yyyymmdd120000
<TRNAMT>-44.55
<FITID>yyyymmdd0002
<NAME>HARRIS TEETER #nnn     AAAA
</STMTTRN>

This problem occurs for both credit cards that are issued by two different banks.

Greg